How to Clean Your Dishwasher: A Step-By-Step Guide
The only thing better than clean dishes is a clean dishwasher to begin with. If you want to know how to clean your dishwasher, we’ve got step-by-step instructions to get the job done.
How to Clean Your Dishwasher
Are you ready to learn how to clean your dishwasher? Great! Check out the sections below for easy instructions.
How to Clean Inside a Dishwasher
This section will help those of you who need to know how to clean a smelly dishwasher and get it smelling fresh again. Using a few household favorites, you’ll clean, sanitize and deodorize.
Begin with an empty dishwasher and prepare to run cycles consecutively on the hottest setting using the following:
- Vinegar – fill a small bowl set in the top rack with vinegar. Full-wash on the hottest setting.
- Baking Soda – sprinkle baking soda all over the bottom of the dishwasher. Quick-wash on the hottest setting.
- Bleach – to rid of mildew add 1 cup of bleach to the bottom of the dishwasher. Full-wash on the hottest setting.
*Note: Do NOT use bleach on stainless steel dishwashers – it will permanently damage the stainless steel!
How to Clean a Dishwasher Filter
In order to know how to clean your dishwasher, you need to clean the filter periodically. Learn how to clean a dishwasher filter with these steps:
- Remove Bottom Rack
- Locate & Remove Filter – look for a cylindrical tube and possibly a second flat filter on the floor of the dishwasher
- Hand Wash – use warm, soapy water and an old toothbrush to scrub filter gently, then rinse thoroughly.
How to Clean a Clogged Dishwasher
You may be searching for how to clean a clogged dishwasher if you’ve got standing water in the bottom of it. Here’s what to do.
- Clear Out Garbage Disposal – Run the disposal to clear out any clogs before running the dishwasher.
- Clean Air Gap – if you find water on the counter or backing up in the sink, remove the air gap cap on the counter near the faucet and clear out any debris.
- Clear Clogs – pour a solution of baking soda and vinegar down the basket in the bottom of the dishwasher and leave for 15 minutes. Flush with hot water.
Knowing how to clean your dishwasher is a good maintenance routine to get into. If cleaning doesn’t do the trick, you may need further service or dishwasher repair.
Contact our friendly technicians at Doug’s Appliance and we’ll take care of your appliance problems in a jiffy!